Verse a Day

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Discipleship

Someone did a search for the term "disciple" in the NIV version of their Logos Bible Software and came up with 264 hits for "disciple" or "disciples". The following is derrived at by me from that search. (I don't remember who it was but I still borrowed it - if you know let me know. TIA)

I have found three major pointers that tell us if we are disciples of the Lord or not. There would seem like a progression in the teaching of Jesus: ground yourself and continue in His Word which, no doubt, empowers us to love one another which, no doubt, opens people up for us to minister to them and bear mich fruit.

The following three things are so vital in conjunction with the Gospel that we need to have these things going on in the works of ministry that we are to be involved in because they are part of who we are and what we do in christ.

Mark number one of being a disciple is: Abide in His Word.
John 8:31 - 32 (NIV) 31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Mark number two of being a disciple is: Love one another.
John 13:34 - 35 (NIV) 34“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

The third mark of a disciple is: Bear much fruit.
John 15:7 - 8 (NIV) 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Disciple =
D = Devoted -- Committed to Scripture & God
I = Intentional -- Having a growth plan
S = Spirit-led -- Dependent on the Spirit
C = Community -- Building relationships (God, Mentors, & Others) including accountability to others
I = Incarnational -- Living out your faith day to day
P = Pliable -- Moddable in the Potter's Hand
L = Life-Long -- It's a Journey not a destination
E = Evangelistic -- You must take others with you; Make Disciples

Just as the game of golf is a game that you do not win but it is a game that you play - so being a disciple is as it says above, a journey not a destination.

Blesings on ya!
Pastor Kitner

No comments:

Post a Comment