Verse a Day

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Four Marks of a Disciple of Jesus Christ

Four Marks of a Disciple of Jesus Christ

Here is a brief set of Benchmarks of a Disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. We can evaluate our progress as a disciple by these few benchmarks.

The first mark of a Disciple: Abide in His Word

John 8:31 - 32 (KJV) 31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Other scriptures to look at: Ps119:9 – 11; John 15:10; Ephesians 6:10 – 18; Hebrews 4:12 – 13

The second mark of a Disciple: Love One Another

John 13:34 - 35 (NIV) 34“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Other scriptures to look at: John 15:13

The third mark of a Disciple: Bear Much Fruit

John 15:7 - 8 (NIV) 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
Other scriptures to look at: Luke 24:44-49 empowered – both gifts and fruit
John 4:34 – 38 fruit without
Gal 5:21-22 fruit within

Notice a progression in the teaching of Jesus: ground yourself and continue in His Word which, no doubt, empowers us to love one another which, no doubt, opens people up for us to minister to them and bear much fruit.

The fourth mark of a Disciple: Works and Greater Works – a disciple does what he is taught to do.

John 14:12 - 14 (KJV) 12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.


Blessings on Ya!
Pastor Kitner

No comments:

Post a Comment