Verse a Day

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Prodigal Life – Part 4

The Prodigal Life – Part 4
Luke 15:17-24(KJV)
17And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
19And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
21And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
22But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
23And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
The next stages of the return of a prodigal/backslider are found in verse 18 - 20 of the above scripture. After the realization and resolution has come into play in the situation there is seen something that is vital to both the prodigal/backslider but also to those who would come to the saving knowledge of Christ. It is called REPENTANCE. Seeing where you are and the desire to turn around and head in the right direction. Repentance is part of the whole restoration process “I have sinned” etc. See Psalm 51 which is David’s testimony of repentance and restoration. The actions were against God and man and with humility one comes back without the haughtiness of the original attitude of you owe me give it to me, but with an I’m not worthy but I’ll take a servants role just to be there in the house with you attitude.
Next is the actual RETURN. He arose and came to the Father. No more just wishful thinking and feeling self pity but the actual humbling of all that is self and with pride being swallowed the journey home is embarked on. This takes a lot knowing that you are wrong and actually doing something that says it to all concerned.
Next we will look at the outcome of the decision that was made by the prodigal.
Be blessed
Pastor Kitner

No comments:

Post a Comment